Saturday 21 May 2011

My most memorable travel experience

About 5 years ago, I went on a ten day trip to Costa Rica. To say I was excited is an understatement, this was the first time I had travelled without my parents and I could not wait! It was the most beautiful country I had ever been to, immense humidity created a sauna-like environment and the chirping sound of cicadas chorused me as the night drew in. I felt completely alive, immersed in a tropical paradise, living at the heart of the rainforest. The hotel 'rooms' were on stilts, scattered among the flora, wooden huts camoflaged with their surroundings. I felt like I could have lived out my life there, so close to nature. Everywhere I looked there were creatures lurking, giant spiders guarded their webs as candle light flickered across their hair-covered frames, bright blood-red crabs lingered under the walkways, scuttling away as light reached them and howler monkeys swung through the canopy above me, their eerie call echoing through the forest. For the first time I felt like nature was in control, this was their territory and I was just a guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment